Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Missing the Kids

I am a Dad who like most dads has to work. My work has me traveling across the United States and sometimes for extended periods of time. This blog is about my travels, coping with missing the kids and life in general.



I am a software trainer for a great company that really knows how to cake care of their employees. I really mean that. Anything that I need the take care of. Business is better than ever. This brings me to my problem.



How do you keep up with the kids and support you wife everyday when some days you are 2200 miles away?



My Wife and kids are my world and I only do what I do to provide for them and we are blessed to get to do some amazing things.



We spend a lot of time together when I am at home. I think my wife feels like I am a hermit because I rarely want to go any where when I am home. But the truth is I travel so much that when I am home I want to be home with my wife and kids.



Don't get me wrong I take the trips to the Zoo and we take vacations but I would rather be on the couch with the kids watching a movie than out and about.



My wife and I lets call her "MrsD" met online. This was an interesting thing because it was by accident that we met. I had just moved to Columbus and shew was on the site because she was catching up with a friend. We chatted back and forth for a long time before we ever talked on the phone or met.This allowed us to ask questions of each other that many of our friends that have been married for much longer still don't talk about.



We met for the first time at a local mall and she was with her brother and his girlfriend. They were along to "Check me out". After that day MrsD and I spent a lot of time at the mall. I would often meet her and LittleD before I had to go to work. I was working for a Training Company and they eventually went out of Business. We would talk and talk.



Thing at home for MrsD were not going so well. See she lived with her parents for a couple of years and to put it politely they were out growing there living condition.



So after a HUGE fight she and little D moved in with me.



I was divorced about 5 years ago and I have a Great Son "BigD" I would make the 6 hr round trip drive to get him every other weekend. We have always had a rocky relationship due to his mother but we were getting it worked out.



Instantly BigD became a big brother. I have to say I am amazed on how well he takes the roll. He struggles sometimes but as the time passes he is becoming a great big brother. I knew that he would be early because one day we were pumpkin picking at a local farm with the kids and a bigger kid pushed littleD down. BigD quickly pushed back and I had to pull him off of the other kid. Now BigD is NOT a fighter so I asked him why he did it and he said"gotta look out for littleD" "that's not right". At that point I knew we were gonna be okay.

Little D took to me almost instantly. See her father had not been in the picture hardly at all for most of her life. Little D started calling me Daddy quickly and I just ran with it. Little D is a bright,self proclaimed little diva..

So we were married in May 2009 and had a great first year together. We found out shortly there after that MrsD was with child and I could not have been happier. We welcomed BabyD into the world in February of 2010.

Now we have the complete Hers Mine and ours blended family. I caution this blended family type is not for everyone but it is perfect for us.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're a hermit!
    I love you and I really enjoy sharing everything with you. I'm very thankful that we get to have so many experiences with all 3 of our kids. Can't wait for you to come home again, we miss you.

    ReplyDelete